Scottish Watches Podcast #251 : Chatting With The Police – How To Avoid Getting Robbed, Defrauded and More
A bit of a different episode today as we welcome to the show Kev and Tom from the UK’s Metropolitan Police Service Flying Squad.
Not only are they both keen watch enthusiasts but they also work in the field of crime prevention and detection when it comes to the watch industry.
Listen to one of our most content heavy episodes because no matter if you’re buying, selling or just wearing a watch – this information will be key to helping you stay safe.
Tom is wearing his Omega Seamaster Planet Ocean ref. 2900.50.91.
Kevin is usually his 1990 Red Tag Heuer Formula 1.
Dave was wearing one of his G-shocks, didn’t bother to say which one so let’s image it’s his transparent Casioak. G-SHOCK Analog-Digital GA2100SKE-7A Men’s Watch (gshock.com)
Rikki is wearing his Rolex Batman GMT. Rolex GMT-Master II Watch: Oystersteel – M126710BLNR-0003
I WAS NEARLY MUGGED FOR MY ROLEX – Is it safe to wear a luxury watch in London? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X04J1K-IdLs
2 Men JAILED after Audemars Piguet Watch Robbery thanks to Selfridges Security Team. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SxkDh3pn5y0
Barber shop Rolex watch robbery video explained and forensically examined. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=orS7B0-6-1M
Steven McMyler: Wigan man ‘murdered for £11k Rolex watch’. https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-manchester-56803693
Bremont Special Projects MBII “Flying Squad” co16.12.76 full set 2017 DLC
How to avoid the watch scammers – Part 1. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MV4zpi3aEYw
How to avoid the Rolex watch scammers – Part 2 – IWC, Audemars, Patek, Piaget, Omega. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IyJfMvAKQZI
How to AVOID being SWITCH SCAMMED out of your ROLEX Watch or CASH. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PHuxFsKrTNE&t
Just some of the security tips mentioned on the show…
- Walk in groups when out and about.
- Be discrete about you watch and jewellery.
- Keep a lookout for suspicious activity.
- Don’t use brand bags to carry your watches (Dora the Explorer backpack not requied).
- Call the police immediately.
- Put the box in one bag and the watch in another.
- Take a friend with you when going to buy something.
- If possible, have the watch box sent to you afterwards and carry the watch in a pouch.
- If you are selling your watch face to face, do it in a public area.
- Check the persons email and bank details tally.
- Don’t invite anyone to your house. Ever!
- Ask for the serial number of the watch.
- Ask for advice from people who have experience buying or selling watches.
- Beware of people switching the watch for a fake one.
- Keep your papers separate from your watches.
- Take photos of your papers and serial numbers.
- Make sure you’ve insured your watch for current market value, don’t expect it to be covered under normal insurance coverage.
- Don’t leave your watch unattended in a public place for example in a gym locker.
Thank you for listening and don’t have nightmares!
Instagram – https://www.instagram.com/scottishwatches
Recent releases from the SW world:
Building a collection with a watch in every color -Rolex, JLC, Zenith, Lange, Panerai, AP, and more! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qGwKqBpDt-w
Best of British Watchmaking. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fdrwHs1S-tw
Got into the horological hobby only a few short years ago; but got, as us Scots like to say, “baw deep” pretty quickly. Thanks to buying a lemon of a Rolex he spent hours researching why his watch wasn’t working and along the way gained an interest in what makes them tick. He now runs the Scottish Watches website and keeps cohort Rick in check on the twice weekly Scottish Watches podcast.